Monday 11 June 2012

WILD MUSHROOM AND BEAN SALAD - VEGAN

As many of you know from reading my blog posts I am an unadulterated carnivore. I love my salads and vegetables too...but in my heart. I am a carnivore. But, as I love to cook and have had to cater to all diets both in my past professional life, with friends, past girlfriends and family members. I thought that I would share one of my favourite vegan dishes. I actually love this dish very much and would prepare this for myself anytime. Note: there are ways to modify this dish to make it a non-vegan dish, I would suggest seared tuna or in a pinch canned tuna in water would work.


What is a vegan? It is the strictest form of vegetarianism. There is no egg, cheese, fish etc. exceptions as some allow for it in their mainly vegetarian diets. Simply, a vegetarian who omits all animal products from the diet even butter (mon dieu!)...is considered a vegan. I am not here to judge which diet is better. Not my intention, but I only wish to say that vegan cuisine is delish, I have much experience with it and is a healthy choice when done as a balanced approach to a eating.  From a nutritional standpoint this dish is very balanced combining fresh ingredients vegetable, legumes - complete proteins and great taste. 

What you need to make this wonderful dish:

Mix of Portobello, Oyster, Cremini, Shitake and White Mushrooms - 4 Cups Total
Lots of Garlic - 3 Cloves Minced
Bunch of Cilantro
Celery - 2 to 3 Stalks Diced
Carrot - 1 Large or 2 Small Diced
Red Pepper - 1 Small Diced
Onion - 1 Large Diced
Red Kidney Beans - 1 Can
Lentils - 1 Can
Chickpeas - 1 Can
Black Beans - 1 Can
Lemon White Wine Vinaigrette - See Recipe HERE
Dijon Mustard - 2 TBSP
Cracked Black Pepper - To Taste
Kosher Salt - To Taste
Lime - 1 Juiced
Lemon - 1 Juiced
Olive oil
Fresh Thyme - A Few Sprigs
Soya Sauce - 1 TBSP
White wine 1/4 Cup

Serves 10  Hint - Prepare this salad the day before for maximum flavour!

Methodology

Chop mushrooms into good bite sized pieces
Marinate the mix of mushrooms with the minced garlic, soya sauce, thyme, olive oil, touch of salt and pepper - put aside (if not vegan - add Worcester Sauce)
Open cans of beans, place in strainer, rinse with cold water
Dice carrots, celery including leaves, onion and red pepper
Preheat a large deep-walled saute pan, add olive oil
Add the marinated mushrooms, then the diced vegetables not the beans into the pan
Add a splash of white wine - reduce
Once cooked through, add the beans, mix thoroughly
Turn off heat
Add vinaigrette, Dijon mustard and thyme to the mix, toss and then lemon/lime juice
Season to taste
Add chopped cilantro

Enjoy!









2 comments:

  1. I'm a bonafide carnivore, too (who just happens to like veggies as well). If you don't give me some kind of meat protein, I get really weak and moody. That said, if I were to become a vegetarian / vegan, mushrooms will be on my plate every meal, just for their meaty texture and flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and thank-you Jen for taking the time to leave a comment. I love mushrooms precisely for the reason that you mentioned above. You can often treat them like meat. Marinate, grill and season them just you would a piece of steak. I hope that you will take a look around my blog and if you have any commentary please do not hesitate to contact me! If you have any suggestions as well as to content and/or things you might like to see drop me a line!

    Thanks again!
    Nicholas

    ReplyDelete